Preserving the Past and Building a Future at PurdueFW

On July 1, our campus’s transition to Purdue University Fort Wayne becomes official. As we look forward to an exciting future, we also look back on the great memories and history that are a part of us and part of our community.

When IPFW opened its doors in 1964, the campus consisted of only one building: Kettler Hall. The university has seen tremendous growth since then, not just in campus size and program numbers, but also in academics, athletics, and community engagement. This Journal Gazette article contains an informative timeline marking some of the milestones of IPFW’s 54-year history.

Everyone agrees that preserving the IPFW legacy is important, including those directly involved in the realignment. Our new athletics logo revealed on June 18 contains Purdue’s black and gold, as well as blue trim around our mascot, Tusky, as a nod to our university’s past accomplishments.

The Journal Gazette also recently published readers’ stories about IPFW. What people seem to remember most is getting a great education at a unique university that fosters valuable relationships with incredible professors and faculty.

As a recent graduate, I have to agree. My experience surpassed my expectations. I am a better person because of what I learned and, more importantly, the people I met on campus. I know that Purdue Fort Wayne is in good hands because faculty and staff who have a passion for education and community lead our university.

We will always be a campus with an identity that separates us from other universities. Students, faculty, staff, and alumni still embrace that identity.

We are Purdue University. We are Fort Wayne. We are the future.

By Joseph VanBuren
B.A., English, ’18
A&S Marketing Assistant